IOA SILMO 2021 Award Nominees
The International Opticians Association (IOA) has announced the finalists for the 2021 IOA Silmo International Optician of the Year Award. The finalists are:
• John Billings (New Zealand)
• Miguel Gianinni (Brazil)
• Clive Marchant (UK)
• Eric Milot (Canada)
• Jean-Franck Pineau (France)
• Helen Whitaker (Canada)
Fiona Anderson BSc(Hons) FBDO R SMC(Tech) FEAOO, President of the International Opticians Association says, “Having missed this opportunity to celebrate the optical profession last year due to the pandemic, we are delighted to be able to engage in 2021 to find the International Optician of the Year. The standard of nominees has been incredibly high and has led to an exciting shortlist of six dedicated and inspiring professionals from around the globe. We wish them all luck in the final stages of judging.”
As well as being able to demonstrate that they are a qualified dispensing optician in the country where they practice, the winner of the award will display:
• Professionalism – the client is at the heart of their business and receives excellent care.
• Excellent communication skills – both personally and via social media.
• Entrepreneurial spirit – with solid business acumen highlighted through the success of their enterprise.
• Innovation – within their business model / product offer / shop design.
• Specialisation – with a reputation in a specific branch of optics
• Creativity – both in the products they offer and the way they practice.
• Engagement – with the profession, the community, charitable endeavours and industry.
• Advocacy – championing the profession of dispensing.
The shortlisted nominees will now complete a final dossier for consideration by the special jury. The members of the international jury will cast their votes in the weeks leading up to Silmo, Paris to choose the laureate.
The winner will be announced during Silmo Paris, 2021. The winner will receive the coveted title, a certificate, lifetime membership of the IOA, flights for two to Paris for Silmo 2022 and 2 nights’ accommodation in a four star hotel.
To find out more visit www.ioassn.org/award