Information from the NHS Business Services Authority
Pre-authorising your GOS 4 vouchers
Did you know we process all GOS 4 pre-authorisation requests to repair or replace patient’s glasses? Read on to find out more information, including how to contact us for authorisation.
In this article, we’ll cover:
- what is a GOS 4 voucher?
- checking your patient qualifies for a GOS 4 voucher
- getting pre-authorisation for your GOS 4 voucher request
What is a GOS 4 voucher?
Under GOS (General Ophthalmic Services) Regulations (Optical Payments and Charges Regulations 2013), patients who qualify can receive a repair or replacement voucher (GOS 4) if they lose or damage their glasses.
Under 16s qualify for repair and replacements without any pre-authorisation, but adults only qualify if a medical exemption/condition has led to the loss or breakage of the glasses.
Our Provider Assurance Ophthalmic Services team can support you with your GOS 4 voucher request for patients aged 16 or over. To claim for a GOS 4 voucher, you must:
- check the patient qualifies for a GOS 4voucher
|We’re unable to authorise payments retrospectively for glasses which have already been replaced or repaired.
We’re unable to accept a GOS 4 voucher request from a patient. You must contact us on your patient’s behalf.
contact us to get a pre-authorisation code before repairing or replacing the patient’s glasses
Checking your patient qualifies for a GOS 4 voucher
You should only contact us to get pre-authorisation for a GOS 4 voucher if your patient:
- has lost or damaged their glasses as a direct result of a medical exemption or condition
- is aged 16 or over
- is in receipt of a particular benefit
Under 16s qualify for repair and replacements without any pre-authorisation.
Patients aged 16 to 17 and in support of local care do not need pre-authorisation for a GOS 4 voucher.
Getting pre-authorisation for your GOS 4 voucher
- If you think your patient is eligible for a GOS 4 voucher, you’ll need to download and complete the GOS 4 pre-authorisation request template on our website.
- Send the completed template to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll assess your GOS 4 voucher request in consultation with our clinical advisors. To assess your claim, we’ll review if the GOS 4 template states:
– if the patient’s glasses have been lost or broken
– if the glasses were lost or broken as a direct result of the patient’s medical exemption/condition
– if the medical exemption/condition has a direct link to the loss or breakage of the patient’s glasses
- We’ll get back in touch with you once we’ve reviewed your GOS 4 voucher claim.